Thursday, January 27, 2011

MORE BEARS! (Picture Book)

by Kenn Nesbitt, illustrated by Troy Cummings

Soucebooks Jabberwocky-Sourcebooks, 2010


A Book Review by

Violet the Telekinetic Puppy


I’m Violet and I like bears. Do you like bears? I bet you like bears because everybody who is not a salmon or a honey bee likes bears. So if you are not a salmon or a honey bee I have a book to tell you about. If you are a salmon or a honey bee I will have a book to tell you about another time.


MORE BEARS! is a really good book with lots of bears in it. Guess how many bears are in the beginning of the book. If you guessed 27 you are wrong. If you guessed zero you are right. But I bet you guessed 27 because I bet you thought a book called MORE BEARS! would have lots of bears in it. Well it does, just not at the beginning of the book and that is why you are wrong if you guessed 27.


At the beginning of the book the author is sitting at his desk writing his story and it is a story with no bears. I don’t know why he is writing a story with no bears because everybody who is not a salmon or a honey bee likes bears and the author is not a salmon or a honey bee.


Do you know what happens? I will tell you. The author hears kids shouting at him and they are shouting “MORE BEARS!!” because they want the author to write a story with bears in it. And because the author wants readers to like his story he adds a bear. But the kids want more bears so they shout “MORE BEARS!!” So the author adds more bears. But the kids want even more bears so they shout “MORE BEARS!!” again and again. And pretty soon the book is full of bears. Guess how many bears? If you guessed 27, you are wrong. There are lots more than 27. There are lots and lots of bears. There are so many bears that I can’t tell you how many, that is how many there are.


It’s fun to look at all the different bears. They are all different colors and sizes and are all doing different things. There is a cowboy bear and a surfing bear and a space bear and a juggling bear. There is even a dancing bear like in the last book I told you about and that book was CLEVER JACK TAKES THE CAKE. But there isn’t a birthday cake in this book, just three bears making cupcakes and lots and lots of other bears.


My favorite bear is the baby bear named Mr. Fluffy. Maybe that will be your favorite bear, too. Or maybe your favorite bear will be the superhero bear or the artist bear or the bear with a purple caterpillar on his nose. Do you know what? I changed my mind. The bear with the purple caterpillar on his nose is my favorite.


Pretty soon there are too many bears. I know that is hard to believe but it is true. So the author makes a decision. Guess how many bears there are at the end of the book? If you guessed 27 you are wrong. If you guessed zero you are right. The author is tired of all the bears and makes the bears get out of his story. The kids have a new idea of what should be in the story. Guess what they want now? I am not going to tell you what they want in the story because you will see for yourself when you read this book. But I will tell you that when you find out what it is, you will laugh because this is a funny book.


Here is a list of who will like this book:


Zookeepers.


Goldilocks.


Everybody else who is not a salmon or a honey bee.



Here is a list of who will like NOT this book:


Salmon.


Honey bees.


The end. Good-bye.

2 comments:

GatheringBooks said...

Now this is one of the most refreshing reviews I've read by far. I looove it! Now I'm no salmon - not a honey bee either - so I suppose I must enjoy More Bears! Yes, Must. =) Will check this book out.

This post made me smile today.

Violet the Telekinetic Puppy said...

Hi Myra, Making you smile makes me smile and because you are such a nice person making me smile probably made you smile again. You will smile even more when you read MORE BEARS! I just thought of something and that something is that we should tell everybody to read MORE BEARS! so they will smile. Then only the salmon and honey bees won’t be smiling. But don’t worry because we will think of a way to make them smile too because if they aren’t smiling too everybody else will stop smiling and that would be sad. Good-bye.