Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Briar’s Journal (June 15 to June 30, 2011)

Dream Entry*
December 19, 2007

I’m in the library’s lobby, only it looks and smells more like a movie theater lobby. Movie posters cover the walls. The titles are unfamiliar to me. At the bottom of each one, in letters bigger than the title, are the words: “Based on the popular book!” My nose picks up the scent of buttery popcorn.

Bigfoot is standing at the ticket booth. He tells me to take my place behind the concession stand. I was headed there already. A duck in a bow tie and cummerbund opens the front doors. A crowd files in. After they get their tickets, they come my way. It’s all my friends plus the three beagle puppies that keep popping up in my dreams.

Beverly steps up to the counter. At first I don’t see her because she’s invisible halfway down from the top of her head. I just see what appears to be a plastic sphere on a chain floating in midair. Beverly’s demanding voice draws my attention.

“I’ll have the large bucket,” she says. “No butter.”

I start to scoop popcorn into a large container, but she stops me.

“Not popcorn. Those,” she say, tapping the glass case. I don’t see her tapping because of her half-invisibility, but I hear it.

I look into the case. Between the purple licorice and chocolate covered anchovies are stacks of brand new books. I ask her why she’s taking books into the theater.

“Everybody knows, the book is usually better than the movie. Hurry it up. I don’t want to miss the previews.”

So I give her a large bucket of books with no butter.

“It’s too dark in there to read,” I tell her.

“I’ve got my book light,” she says. The plastic sphere swings closer to me. Inside is a lightning bug.

The rest of my friends order buckets of books, too—some with butter, some without. Bigfoot closes the ticket booth and has me scoop an extra large bucket of books with extra butter for him. The duck orders a small and follows Bigfoot into the theater.


In BIGFOOT’s bucket:


SHARKS & BOYS by Kristen Tracy

[YOUNG ADULT]

Hyperion-Disney

June 28, 2011


BEYOND LUCKY by Sarah Aronson

[MIDDLE GRADE]

Dial-Penguin

June 30, 2011




In MORZANT’s bucket:


CHARLIE AND KIWI: AN EVOLUTIONARY ADVENTURE

by The New York Hall of Science and Fablevision,

illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds

[PICTURE BOOK]

June 28, 2011




In PENNY’s bucket:


HAUNTING VIOLET by Alyxandra Harvey

[YOUNG ADULT]

Walker

June 21, 2011


UNCOMMON CRIMINALS by Ally Carter

[YOUNG ADULT—SECOND IN THE HEIST SOCIETY SERIES]

Hyperion-Disney

June 21, 2011


VICIOUS LITTLE DARLINGS by Katherine Easer

[YOUNG ADULT]

Bloomsbury USA

June 21, 2011


SEA MONSTER’S FIRST DAY by Kate Messner,

illustrated by Andy Rash

[PICTURE BOOK]

Chronicle

June 22, 2011




In the DUCK’s bucket:


BREATH OF ANGEL by Karyn Henley

[YOUNG ADULT—FIRST IN THE

ANGELAEON CIRCLE TRILOGY]

WaterBrook Multnomah-Random House

June 21, 2011




In NORMAN’s bucket:


THE BOY AT THE END OF THE WORLD

by Greg van Eekhout

[MIDDLE GRADE]

Bloomsbury USA

June 21, 2011


MISSING ON SUPERSTITION MOUNTAIN by Elise Broach, with illustrations by Antonio Javier Caparo

[MIDDLE GRADE—FIRST IN TRILOGY]

Henry Holt

June 21, 2011


THE SCHOOL FOR THE INSANELY GIFTED by Dan Elish

[MIDDLE GRADE]

HarperCollins

June 21, 2011




In BEVERLY’s bucket:


THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES by Paul Dowswell

[YOUNG ADULT]

Bloomsbury USA

June 21, 2011


ME & JACK by Danette Haworth

[MIDDLE GRADE]

Walker

June 21, 2011




In OLIVER’s bucket:


MINE by Shutta Crum, illustrated by Patrice Barton

[PICTURE BOOK]

Knopf-Random House

June 14, 2011




In LENNY’s bucket:


THE GREAT RACE by Kevin O’Malley

[PICTURE BOOK]

Walker

June 21, 2011


ALONG A LONG ROAD by Frank Viva

[PICTURE BOOK]

Little, Brown-Hachette

June 28, 2011


BOY WONDERS by Calef Brown

[PICTURE BOOK]

Atheneum-Simon & Schuster

June 28, 2011




In VIOLET’s bucket:


OH, HARRY! by Maxine Kumin, illustrated by Barry Moser

[PICTURE BOOK]

Roaring Brook

June 21, 2011


PRUDENCE WANTS A PET by Cathleen Daly,

illustrated by Stephen Michael King

[PICTURE BOOK]

Roaring Brook

June 21, 2011



* The dream entries from Briar’s journal contain premonitions of books that will be published in the future. Briar’s dream self foresees the books’ summaries and knows which will likely appeal to each of her friends. Briar always wakes up before she can see whether her friends will enjoy the books.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you like my book Lenny.
Thanks for picking it up!
Kevin O'Malley

Unknown said...

Hi Bigfoot - I have an award for you on my blog! Please stop by.

Jennifer Young (Castles in the Sky)
http://jennyleeyoung.blogspot.com/

MTeacress said...

Hi there. I'm a new follower. I've stopped by via another blog. Nice to 'meet' you.
I love your bigfoot theme. It's creative and silly - which is good. Have a great week. :)

Norman the Half-Invisible Turtle said...

Michelle, don’t you think this blog would be better if it had a “Norman the Half-Invisible Turtle” theme?