Monday, October 22, 2012

Three Minutes Chatting in a Pumpkin Patch


Normanday #51: Pumpkins like knock-knock jokes.

Write for three minutes about…

…a conversation you had with a pumpkin.

Email what you wrote to woof at bright dot net by the end of the day October 28 (put “Some of Norman’s Best Friends are Pumpkins” in the subject line). I’ll post as many of my favorite entries as I want next Monday. Include your first name (or, even better, use a pen name) and age (unless you’re tortoise-old). If you’re a published children’s or young adult writer, include a biography to be posted with your entry.

Here are the entries from last week when I asked you to write for three minutes about…

…your imaginary friend.


Lillylamb, age 28
My imaginary friend is the best! She is half angel, half cat. I know that you dog lovers might be thinking how can angel and cat be together in one being? Well, I am not quite sure. I think when she was created all the bad parts of a cat were taken out and replaced with angel parts. Anyway, she is a great reader and an even better gardener. She digs with her paws and then uses her angel powers to make the flowers grow especially pretty. I want to add that she is also a mouser. Yeah, yeah, I know. An angel that hunts mice? Well, just go with me on this one and trust that it is all for the best. Last week, in fact, she hunted a mouse out of the garage, prayed a little prayer for its mousey soul, and sent the corpse a floating on a slice of cheese down the creek nearby. Like I said, just go with me on this one.

Cranberly
Iggy, my (imaginary) friend 
Hello, everyone, this is Iggy. As you can see, Iggy is a white, bengal tiger with blue eyes. I saw a tiger just like him at the Cincinnati Zoo the other day and decided I wanted one of my own. I like Iggy because he is soft and cuddly. He’s pretty quiet too. He never roars. Occasionally he may growl, but only because he is defending me. I love going on adventures with Iggy. He is great for going ahead and checking for danger. He scares anything bad away. He does look pretty vicious, I guess. But he has never been mean or scary to me. Often, Iggy will run ahead and scare away things and then comes back and walks with me. I feel safe when he is beside me. And he is very warm. 
Often, Iggy likes to roll on his back and let me pet his big tummy. I do that while I am reading a book. Iggy doesn’t read, but that’s okay. He’s a tiger and tigers don’t read. I love his eyes. They are blue like mine. Iggy sleeps beside my bed at night. I wish he would sleep beside me, on the bed, but my sister won’t let him because he hogs the bed. My sister and I share a room and a bed. I have a stuffed animal version of Iggy. He lays on the floor beside me. I am glad I have Iggy. He is great when we play make-believe knights and castles. He is great fighting the bad guys that storm the castle. It makes me so happy to have a friend like him.
Author’s note: I did have an imaginary friend that was a Bengal tiger when I was young. I don’t remember the name. I think it was Bengaly or something like that. Iggy sounds good to me now. I don’t remember how old I was, probably 7 or 8. The Cincinnati Zoo had just acquired a family of white Bengal tigers and we were so excited about them. There were pictures of them all over the city. That made me decide to have a pet Bengal tiger of my own. For some reason, I thought they were gentle.

No comments: