Monday, July 8, 2013

Three Minutes at the Pool

Normanday #84: I rescue moths from the filter.

Write for three minutes about…

…being at the swimming pool.

Email what you wrote to woof at bright dot net by the end of the day July 14 (put “Norman Doesn’t Like to Swim in Chlorine” in the subject line). I’ll post as many of my favorite entries as I want next Monday. Include your first name (or, even better, use a pen name) and age (unless you’re tortoise-old). If you’re a published children’s or young adult writer, include a biography to be posted with your entry.

Here is the single entry from last week when I asked you to write for three minutes about…

…your favorite part of summer.


Tren Rewy Steb
The lightning bugs are out all day fluttering about on the patio, hopping from shrub to lawn. It’s not until it’s finally dark outside that I see their yellow-green lights. I wonder if they glow in the day, too, but that their lights don’t show up in the day. They flash slowly. I follow one as it lifts in the air, glow slowly fading. I can see the bug’s silhouette hovering and try to follow it until it winks on again. Against the backdrop of a border of evergreens, the bugs look like Christmas lights. I see the bugs flicker in the neighbors’ yards, too—a galaxy of stars in the suburbs.

No comments: